Margareta's music is colorful, humorous, deep and strives to create absurd sound-images. She achieves this characterization through ironic treatment of traditional musical aesthetics, audial fragmentation of other art forms, implanting vivid rhythmical impulses, transforming theatrical gestures into timbre and exploring the intensity of extended instrumental techniques. The inspiration for her scores comes from literature, art, movies, science, politics, philosophy, remarkable individuals or bizarre life situations.
1982, Zagreb, Croatia
lives & works
(University of Music and performing Arts in Vienna)
Ivan Eröd, Chaya Czernowin, Klaus Peter Sattler
- Boris Papandopulo award for "All the world´s a stage" (2018)
from the Croatian Composers´ Society - http://www.hds.hr/dobitnici-godisnjih-nagrada-hds-a-za-2017-godinu/
- Josip Štolcer Slavenski award for "All the world´s a stage" (2018)
from the city of Cakovec - http://czk-cakovec.hr/margareta-ferek-petric-dobitnica-nagrade-josip-stolcer-slavenski-za-2017-godinu/
- Förderungspreis der Stadt Wien - advancement award from the city of Vienna (2017)
- State Scholarship for Composers from the Office of the Austrian federal Chancellor (2016)
- Composers´ Start Scholarship from the Austrian Ministry of Culture (2012)
- Theodor Körner Award for an orchestral composition „Take 7“ (2011)
- Thyll-Dürr Foundation (2009/10)
- Home Suisse Foundation (2006-09)
- Czibulka Foundation (2008)
- Viktor Bunzl Foundation (2007/08)
- Vienna Music University Scholarship (2005/06)
- Artist in Residence Carinthischer Sommer (2018)
- Finalist composition competition "Prix Annelie de Man" (2018)
- Representing Croatia on "63rd International Rostrum Of Composers" (2016)
- working as a part of the managing committee of ÖGZM (since 2015)
(Austrian Society for Contemporary Music)
- Working stay in Casa Zia Lina on Elba / invited by Thyll-Dürr Foundation (2010)
- Portrait concert of her works in Zagreb Concert Hall Vatroslav Lisinski / invited by association "Glazbene Staze" (2010)
collaborations (among others)
Music Biennale Zagreb, Music Tribune Opatija, Donaufestival Strudengau, Carinthischer Sommer, Sirene Operntheater, artist collective SNIM, Ensemble die Reihe, Ensemble Kontrapunkte, Ensemble Reconsil, Koehne Quartett, Papandopulo Saxophone Quartett, Ensemble Platypus, Ensemble Klingekunst, Vokalni Ansambl Antiphonus, Trio GIG, Duo FredDo, Duo Arcord, Airborne Extended (Quartet), Maria Radutu (pianist), Florian Fennes (saxophonist), Maja Mijatovic (harpsichordist) ... and many more ...
Margareta enjoys visiting exhibition openings, diverse theater productions and wine tastings, dancing to Balkan music, exploring the world on road trips, laughing to good satire and eating sushi.
She is married to a chef (http://www.kochkurs-wien.at/).
Her sister Katarina Ferek-Petric is a painter (https://ferekpetrickatarina.jimdo.com/)